What is Vastu Shastra?
Vastu Shastra is a traditional Hindu system of architecture. These are ancient texts describing principles of design, layout, measurements, ground preparation, space arrangement and spatial geometry and are aimed at enhancing peace, happiness, health and wealth. Vastu Shastra gives guidance regarding construction of building in consonance with the cosmic energies. It is a study of planetary influences on the buildings and the people living/working there and guides us how to avoid diseases,depression and disasters by creating a positive cosmic field in our homes & offices.
21 Vastu Tips for Bedroom
People rely on Vastu for living harmoniously and keeping problems at bay. Bedroom is a place where we retire to have a tension-free & sound sleep and to escape from the worries of daily life. Location of bedroom, placement of bed, colour scheme, direction of doors & windows, placement of electronic gadgets- these are some of the things to keep in mind when constructing and designing the bedrooms in the house.
Here are 21 Vastu tips one must adhere to while designing bedroom so that peace and prosperity prevails:
1. The master bedroom should ideally be located in South-West direction. The ideal location of Children’s bedroom is in East or West side and a guest bedroom should be in North-West side. The bedroom should be square or rectangular in shape.
2. One should not sleep with head towards North direction as it leads to nightmares and disturbed sleep.
3. Bed should not be placed under any beam as it will adversely affect the health
4. The doors of the bedroom should be in the East, West or North but not in South-West direction. The doors should at least open 90 degrees so as to allow the entry of all the opportunities in your life. The larger window should be in the North or East and the smaller windows should be in the West direction.
5. The wall colors of bedroom should be off white, light rose, pastel shades of blue and green, or grey. Dark and excessively bright colors should be avoided in your bedroom.
6. West or southwest corner is the best for the placement of bookshelf in the bedroom, as per the Vastu guidelines.
7. The heavy almirah should be on the South/West wall.
8. Bed should be of wood. Wrought iron beds should be avoided. Irregularly shaped beds should be avoided.
9. Electronic gadgets should be placed at a distance from bed as the electromagnetic waves interfere with sleep.
10. Mirrors should not be placed opposite the bed as it causes disturbed sleep.
11. The bed should never be placed in front of the bedroom door.
12. A single mattress should be used on a double bed to promote harmonious relationship between the couple.
13. Avoid placing pictures or idols of Deities in your bedroom. The ideal place to keep them is the puja room.
14. An aquarium should not be kept in the bedroom as it is believed to cause financial loss.
15. It is advisable to keep a light switched on during the night. Pitch dark bedrooms are not good and so mild lighting is recommended. The night bulb/lamp should be so placed that it doesn’t interfere with your sleep. Also red light bulbs should be avoided.
16. Avoid sleeping in direct alignment with sharp corners. Sharp corners act as energy spears and create stress in the nervous system.
17. When you enter the bedroom, it should give you the feeling of peacefulness and serenity. Such feelings can be enhanced in the bedroom by placing a photograph, inspiring quote, painting, sculpture or even flowers at such a strategic place that your gaze falls on them, the moment you enter the bedroom.
18. Vastu suggests that safe should not be kept in a bedroom. But if this is the only place for the safe, it should be located on the south wall with opening in north.
19. TV, heaters, and air conditioners should be located in the southeast corner.
20. Keep your bedroom organized and clutter free. Don’t let the clutter to accumulate under your bed as clutter stagnates the positive energy and will cause stress & disturbed sleep.
21. One should take care that the door of the bedroom doesn’t produce any creaking sound.
Some additional tips
• Strictly no edibles should be entertained in your bedroom. Avoid eating food while sitting on the bed.
• Master bedroom should be bigger than the rest of the bedrooms and should be used by couple.
• Avoid using black, or dark blue curtains in the bedroom as they will lead to ego clashes among couples. Always use soft colours like pink, lavender etc.
• Bed should always have a strong wall support at one end (where heads rest) aS this strengthens the relations between the couple.
© 2017 Shaloo Walia All rights reserved