Rudraksha is a seed traditionally used for prayer beads in Hinduism. The word Rudraksha is made up of two Sanskrit words: Rudra and aksha that refers to Rudra’s (Lord Shiva’s) teardrops. Rudraksha are sacred beads which have high spiritual and medicinal value.
Rudraksha tree belongs to Elaeocarpaceas family and takes 15-18 years to attain maturity. Rudarksha is the fruit of this tree which is found inside a cover which is similar to walnut. When the cover is broken or cut, the Rudraksha is found inside. After drying, grooves on the surface of Rudraksha which run from apex to bottom demarcate clear areas called mukha or faces. Rudraksha are classified on the basis of the number of faces which can be from 1 to 21 though the scriptures speak of 1-14 faces only. Authentic and high quality Rudraksha are available in Nepal and Indonesia.
Tests for good quality of Rudraksha
- When placed in water, Rudraksha which are artificial or wooden or infected by insects will float on water.
- Rudraksha has an electromagnetic interaction with copper coin/plate and they show a gradual rotational movement. If the movement is clockwise then the Rudraksha are considered to be very auspicious.
- Leave the Rudraksha beads in a cup of milk for a day. If the milk is not spoilt then it indicates the purity of Rudraksha.
- Rudraksha has a rough surface but it’s not thorny. Thorny surface bead is artificial.
- The lines are not equidistant in Rudraksha but they may be so in the artificial one.
- Natural Rudraksha has no hole. These are made in it later on. If the Rudraksha bead has a natural hole then it considered to be very auspicious.
Benefits of Rudraksha
- Rudraksha is considered as incarnation of Lord Shiva. The person wearing Rudraksha possess good health and is respected by all.
- Rudraksha is used as a remedy for planetary afflictions.
- Rudraksha up to nine faces are akin to the properties of nine planets. 10-21 faced Rudraksha represent higher heavenly powers which transcend the planetary kingdom. They control the basic instincts of men.
- Rudraksha are hot by nature and control thermodynamics and electromagnetic vinrations around the body. Thus wearing Rudraksha gives peace of mind as they take away extra heat from body.
- Rudraksha are used in tantra for checking evil, cleansing soul and realizing divinity.
- Wearing Rudraksha rosary is beneficial in controlling diseases related to blood and heart.
- Rudraksha helps in awakening Kundalini.
- Rudraksha are used in Ayurvedic medicines.
- Wearing Rudraksha helps in prayer and sadhna for spiritual advancement.
- Ash obtained by burning Rudraksha and mixed with golden ash in equal proportion, if taken regularly one ratti as dose with curd or milk helps in controlling blood pressure.
- Take Rudraksha ash with black pepper in equal proportion with water, kept at night for three months. This will help in curing smallpox.
- If a big Rudraksha is rubbed in small quantity of water and the paste is applied on a poisonous wound then it will heal fast without any adverse effect.
© 2016 Shaloo Walia All rights reserved